Covenant Club Germany
Whereas the issue of sustainable energy on the local level generates more and more awareness in Germany, only little efforts have been undertaken to network relevant actors.
The Covenant Club Germany brings together relevant actors for the Covenant of Mayors around the issue of the implementation of the Covenant commitments.
Objectives of the Covenant Club Germany:
- Help German municipalities to achieve their commitment to the Covenant of Mayors;
- Boost exchange of experiences between Covenant signatories both on political and practical issues;
- Develop positions and demands related to the implementation of the Covenant objectives to be conveyed to the national and European level;
- Ensure synergies with existing initiatives in Germany related to local sustainable energy;
- Provide a platform to address barriers of the implementation of sustainable energy concepts on the local level in cooperation with key actors in the relevant fields of local action.
Group photo taken during the launch of the Covenant Club Germany - © photo Christian Buck
The German Covenant Club was launched on 25 October 2011 in Heidelberg. The majority of the German Covenant signatories participated in the launch event.
Three participants were elected as representatives of the Club: Lord Mayor of Heidelberg, Eckart Würzner; Mayor of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, Thomas Thumann, and Joachim Lorenz, city councillor of the city of Munich.
Heidelberg is a pioneer city of the ENGAGE campaign, a participative initiative that commits citizens and local stakeholders to reach the Covenant of Mayors objectives.
More information on the German Covenant Club.
Contact: Jenny-Claire Kersting, Climate Alliance, j-c.kersting[a]klimabuendnis.org
You want to discuss these issues further?
Subscribe here to the discussion list of the German Covenant Club.
- Leaflet: ALLE AKTEURE MOBILISIEREN UM DIE 3X20 ZU ERREICHEN